Indications of Use for Mobile Cardiac Telemetry (MCT) Monitoring
The Indications of Use for Mobile Cardiac Telemetry can be considered similar to traditional Cardiac Event Monitoring but vary slightly due to the nature of the technology. Because Mobile Cardiac Telemetry (MCT) Monitoring captures ambulatory ECG information in real time, this presents expanded clinical utility.
The proper indications of use for Mobile Cardiac Telemetry (MCT) should be carefully examined prior to ordering the study. Although Medicare and Private Insurance company cover the diagnostic test, proper work up and indications must be met for the physician to order the study.
The indications of use for Mobile Cardiac Telemetry may include:
- Patients with palpitations or undiscovered arrhythmias
- Patients that have symptoms that may connected with various cardiac abnormalities or arrhythmias. Such symptoms can be transient chest pain (angina), Shortness of Breath (dyspnea) signs of dizziness (syncope).
- Patients who require 24 hour monitoring for non-life threatening arrhythmias such as Supraventricular Tachycardia (Pre-mature Atrial Contractions, Atrial fibrillation, Atrial Flutter, Pre-mature Ventricular Contractions, Ventricular Tachycardia)
- Evidence of Bradycardia Arrhythmias
- Bundle Branch Block or other transient non-life threatening conduction disorders
- Post Cardiovascular surgery and/or myocardial infarction
- Prescription drug monitoring to control Atrial Fibrillation
- Patients recovering from cardiac surgery who are indicated for outpatient arrhythmia monitoring.
- Patients with diagnosed sleep disorders (obstructive sleep apnea) to evaluate arrhythmia behavior.
- Patients requiring arrhythmia evaluation of etiology of stroke or transient cerebral ischemia and / or stroke from atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter.
**Mobile Cardiac Telemetry (MCT) should NOT be used (contraindicated) for patients with life-threatening arrhythmias which require in-patient monitoring or hospitalization. We recommend that you refer to the Local Coverage Determination for Medicare and refer to the guidelines for individual insurances for for exact details.